Common Butterfly & Moth Families
Scientific Butterfly Family Classifications
- Papilionidae - Swallowtail butterflies, most species having prominent tails.
- Hesperiidae - Skippers - relatively small, fast-flying species.
- Lycaenidae - Blues, Hairstreaks and Coppers. Colors and patterns of sexes often differ.
- Nymphalidae - Brush-footed butterflies, contains many subfamilies.
- Pieridae - Yellows and Whites, with those predominant colors.
- Riodinidae - Metalmarks, sometimes placed in the Family Lycaenidae.